PACKAGE TOURS BELOW
Maday’s family farm by Mercedes Llanos
The farm of Maday is a beautiful land situated at the top of a jungle mountain – viewing conservation area Cordillera Escalera – situated on the outskirts of the village of San Roque De Cumbaza. The walk is quite hard, let’s say it makes you sweat. Maday and family make the walk three or four times a week.
We Pass: Eco artist residency ‘Sachaqa Centro De Arte’ – see artists at work in the studio, Situlli Ecolodge – experience canopy zip-line of 150 meter distance, ecological viewpoints and Sculpture Trail.
It is an hours walk to the ecological viewpoints from the village and then another hour to the farm of Maday. The first part is not so difficult. There are many varieties of trees and plants and different edible fruits to see along the way. We crossed a trickle of water in which we could refresh ourselves and drink a little. 100% clean water. The first peak, where you can see the horizon, is beautiful. There one can see the vastness of the amazon jungle – mountain landscape. Once you reach the top you walk a very simple path without elevation where we can see the sculpture trail. A great place to enjoy the view, rest and eat something.
After the break, we continue on – to a very steep incline. I recommend rubber boots, as there are usually lots of puddles along the way. This was my favorite part! I felt like an amazon rainforest explorer. It is much more wild and natural, with green, giant leaves and plants that encircle you on the way. The climb is steep yes, but hilarious, since you have to dodge puddles and climb natural steps created by the roots of the trees that surround us. Truly amazing.
After an hour of extreme hiking, we arrived at the farm. As we go down to the cabin, we see a diversity of fruits. On the farm, Maday and young Joel were waiting for us. Maday is a very funny person who loves to smile. At the same time wise, with a great knowledge of edible and medicinal plants. Let’s say he’s a great teacher. Joel is more timid but very respectful, he knows everything about working on the farm, the plants, and his specialty organic coffee.
They specialize in cocao and organic coffee, so we saw many of those plants. Teaching us about the coffee process. There were also many other plants. Among them are banana, plantains, yucca, grapefruit, dali-dali, lemon, anuna, mandarins, mangos, guaba (which we had the opportunity to try), pumpkin, sweet potato, pineapple, and also medicinal plants such as Sacha Hergon (for diabetes), sangre de grado (blood cleaner), and mountain microorganisms (MM) (which is used for gastritis).
Joel did not stop taking guavas out of the trees for us to eat, and we tried different fruits.
As I prepare to leave for San Roque, Joel surprises me with two mules (Donkey/Horse) “Let’s go on a mule,” he says. I could not believe it, I had never traveled on a mule before. It was a really incredible feeling. Climbing the mountain on top of a mule was very, very funny, and we also saw the sunset.
If you would like to try riding on a mule you can experience riding village style on a wooden saddle and we can provide a helmet.
Visiting Maday’s farm is a complete adventure!
Remember that all our package tours can be altered to suit your travelling needs.
3-hour hike – Nature Trail – San Roque De Cumbaza
Maday’s family farm – Sachaqa Centro De Arte, sculpture trail, ecological viewpoints and canopy zip-line 150 meters – in the conservation area ‘ Cordillera Escalera.’
- Early morning start 7am.
- 10 mins walk – Visit ecological art village ‘Sachaqa Centro De Arte’ – see artists at work in the studio.
- 30 mins walk – Situlli Ecolodge – Canopy Zip-Line 150 meter of distance (optional)
- Welcoming drink
- 40 min walk – Ecological Viewpoints and Sculpture Trail ‘Monument Of The Jungle.’
- picnic lunch in nature – traditional juane (rice dish rapped in a leaf.)
- 1 hour walk- Maday’s family farm – welcome coffee..
- Return walk to San Roque – If you would like to travel by mule please let us know – it will cost extra and is not such a comfortable ride as the saddle is made from wood (at your own risk.)
3 Day – Pure Nature:
Añakiwi spirings – 100m Waterfall Toroyacu – Hatun Rumi ‘Big Rock’ – 5 hour Trek
- Situlli Ecolodge – sleep surrounded by nature in basic but comfortable accommodation – Canopy Zip-Line 150 meter of distance.
- Ecological Viewpoints – Sculpture Trail.
- Maday’s organic coffee plantation – family farms
- Natural phenomenon Hatun Rumi ‘Big Rock’ – picnic lunch in nature.
- Toroyacu Waterfall.
- Dinner around the campfire – camping.
- 3-hour return trek to San Roque.
- Time to swim in the River Cumbaza and relax.