Amazon River Dolphins – Rainforest Cruises
‘The jungle canoe safari was a highlight, if not the best experience during my time in Peru. It was so relaxing being paddled around the tranquil waterways under the sun, surrounded by vegetation and the sounds of nature. Our guide was extremely knowledgeable and perceptive, and brought many seemingly hidden animals to our attention. We saw monkey, sloths, otters, pink river dolphins (!!!), a crocodile, giant butterflies and many brightly colored birds. Our guide would feed us lots of delicious fresh fruit, and cooked us delicious meals. It was also really fun to chat to other travelers when we stopped each night at a refuge. I did a three day tour, which was excellent, but would recommend doing longer, if you can, and it was such a wonderful experience, and also great value compared to jungle tours elsewhere.’
Sacharuna Testamonial – Virginia Fisher
The Pacaya–Samiria National Reserve, located 183 km (114 mi) southwest of Iquitos, is the second largest protected area in Peru and in the Amazon region. It covers an area of 20,800 km2 (8,000 sq mi) and is rich in biodiversity.
The reserve is home to 527 bird species, 102 mammal species (among them the pink amazon river dolphins), 69 species of reptiles, 58 species of amphibians, 269 fish species, and 1024 species of wild and cultivated plants. The reserve is a refuge for different endangered species like the Arrau turtle (Podocnemis expansa), the spider monkey (Ateles sp.), the giant river otter (Pteronura brasiliensis), the scarlet macaw (Ara macao), Cedrela odorata trees, and others. It is also contains the most extensive area of protected floodable forest (várzea) in the Amazon rainforest.
Located in Yurimaguas, we have to journey by car from the city of Tarapoto for approximately 2-25mins. Then by boat another 4-5 hours before we reach Lagunas in the reserve of Pacaya Samiria.
Winston Jungle Tours: offer a service which strives to care and respect our Amazon rainforest, her wild life and the surrounding culture.
Winston Insapillo – has been working with tourism in Yurimaguas for more than 10 years. He will be your host on this adventure. His intention is for you to have a pleasant and safe experience. Daniel Lerner will be your English speaking tour guide.
While traveling the Samiria River, pink and gray amazon river dolphins are our regular travelling companions. We will stop the boat engine every time we meet a group of dolphins. We can also find an opportunity to swim close to them and sometimes pink dolphins jump out of the water near by.
- 7:00 a.m. in the morning. Departure from the village of lagoons pacaya pacaya Samiria, 30 minutes
- 7.40 in the morning. Transport in a canoe, and the adventure begins towards the jungle. During the journey you can already see species of flora and fauna, such as birds monkeys.
- 12 noon. Stop in the camp, lunch.
- 1.00 in the afternoon. We continue the journey to the camp posa-glory where we will spend the first night. where there is a mattresses, mosquito nets and sheets.
- 5.00 pm. Arrival at the camp poses glory where you will have dinner.
- 6.00 in the morning. Breakfast, and then we leave the camp, continue the trip heading for the next camp: pantheon.
- 12 noon. Lunch at the Pantheon camp.
- 1.00 in the afternoon. We continue with the tour, piranha fishing and other species; Observation of parrots, sloths, eagles etc.
- 6.00 p.m. Dinner in the same camp, nocturnal walks, canoe trip and observation of alligators among other similar animals, mammals, observation of nocturnal monkeys, musmuquis snakes tarántulas etc.
- 6.00 in the morning. Breakfast, then take a hike to the immensity of the jungle, where we can observe, plants of different species and medicinal, giant trees, rope of liana and others, the walks can last 2, 3 or 4 hours depending on the rhythm of Visitor’s walk.
- 12 noon. Lunch in the same camp. Departure from the pantheon camp towards posa-glory, just as we continue to observe animals on the third day we observe gray and pink amazon river dolphins
- 6.00 p.m. Dinner and overnight overnight
- 6.00 in the morning. Breakfast in the camp posa-glory and return to Lagunas we continue observing different species of birds, monkeys, eagles, etc.
- 12:00 noon lunch. We continue returning towards the entrance
- 4.00 pm. Arrival at the entrance of the reservation
- Return to Tarapoto
- End of tour