Cacao Farms | Peru chocolate | raw chocolate
OUR PACKAGE TOURS BELOW
Sacharuna Adventure just loves Chocolate!
For thousands of years, people have considered cacao as a sacred plant with potent healing properties.
People are also re-discovering the spiritual uses of cacao to facilitate work in the inner realms. Cacao is a powerful heart-opener, increasing blood flow. It increases focus so that meditation, yoga and therapeutic work are more accessible.
HISTORY – cacao farms in Peru
Many farmers in the region of San Martin around 10 years ago gave up its illegal growing of coca opting to take part in a program to replace these plants with cacao which in the long term was more financially beneficial for the farmers and the environment as a whole.
Perhaps the first chocoholics in history were the Mayans who were very open about their love for cacao. They wrote about cacao as “the food of the gods!”
Remember that all our package tours can be altered to suit your traveling needs.
5D 4N Pure Chocolate Experience: cacao farms in Peru
Chazuta – Lamas – Pucacaca
- ‘Rio Bosque Magico’ organic cacao – Heriberto’s family farm.
- Waterfall Tununtunumba | hiking trail (4-hour walk – optional.)
- Agroforestry | visit organic cacao plantations and learn about a land use management system.
- Amazon River Trip| River Huallaga – Cacao Island
- ‘Allima Cacao’ born as an association of growers out of counter drug trafficking initiatives.
- ‘Terra Preta Del Indio’ (Black Earth of the Indians) a soil so fertile it can grow abundant crops permanently.
- ‘Makao Peru’ private company located in the district of Pucacaca.
3 day trip: Amazon Rainforest River Trip:
Cacao Island | organic cacao Peru | Jumanchi Springs | river springs swimming
- River trip: Journey along the River Huallaga.
- Visit an island that produces 6 hectors of cacao | organic cacao Peru.
- 1 – 1/2 walk Jumanchi springs and pools | walking route.
- Course in chocolate making and cacao farm.
Allima Cacao organization –Born as an association of growers out of counter drug trafficking initiatives in the mid 2000’s.
- Casa Qoya – The centre’s main focus is to specialize in post-harvest.
- Mishky Cacao Chocolate factory.
1 day trip: Chazuta |Heriberto’s Farm | Family vacations |organic cacao |1-hour walk
- Welcome drink
- Cacao fields of ‘Rio Bosque Magico’ Heribert os family farm.
- Learn about agroforestry and harvest the cacao using machetes (optional).
- Lunch amazing food grown in the gardens of RBM.
- Learn about the different stages in cacao production and participate in the labor process, how to ferment and dry the cacao beans ready to make chocolate.
- Coffee and tour of the ‘Joyce V Barter’ sculpture gallery.
- Journey back to Tarapoto.
Prices: 2PAX – $70USD per person
Inclusions: 1 lunch, coffee and cake/ private car – Tarapoto to Chazuta/ Courses
1 Day Trip: Amazon Rainforest River Trip:
Cacao Island | cacao farm| hiking route | Baduraca cacao fields.
- Early start, breakfast at –‘Joyce V Bartra’ sculpture gallery.
- Journey down the River Huallaga, passing native communities along the way.
- Visit an island that produces 6 hectors of organic cacao.
- Explore cacao plantations (brief explanation of the cacao island farm and learn about cacao production.)
- Lunch, picnic in nature.
- Community of Chilcayo – hikking to Badurarca area (1 hour hike,) primary rain-forests – nature in its purist form.
- Journey back to Chazuta
- Dinner at ‘Rio Bosque Magico’
Prices: 2PAX – $75USD per person
Inclusions: Welcome drink, 1 picnic lunch, Dinner/ private car – Tarapoto to Chazuta, guide/Private boat to Cacao Island.
Other Chocolate Route Activities:
Adventure we will never forget
My partner and I went on the three day cacao tour and we had no idea how incredible it would be. Daniel is a wonderful, kind and informative tour guide who took us off the beaten track to experience the true essence of the Amazon Jungle and surrounding villages. We had tours to cacao plantations, where the owners explained the procedure on growing & producing cacao, we ate delicious traditional meals with a beautiful local family, swam in a rock pool in the amazon, had a tour of the local museum & made pottery. This trip is incredibly inspiring and you will come away feeling connected with Pachamama & have a deep appreciation for the love and work that goes into chocolate production. We would highly recommend this tour. Thank you Daniel, Heriberto & family – we will never forget this trip.